The Steering Committee oversees the roadmap initiative and members are responsible for monitoring the high-level strategy while driving the goals of this effort. This will result in a comprehensive roadmap and implementation action plan for the MLR economy. The focus of the committee is to coordinate the team’s efforts in the four work areas: Marine Resources & Data Benchmarking, Workforce & Talent Development, Market Development, and Opportunities & New Technology. In addition, the Steering Committee informs meeting agendas and overall strategy.
The goals of SEAMaine are to create growth and resiliency in Maine’s seafood economy by:
- Providing support to sustain Maine’s existing marine resource businesses.
- Supporting Maine’s coastal communities through the preservation and improvements of our working waterfronts.
- Increasing the amount and value of marine living resources originating from Maine’s coastal waters in a way that minimizes the carbon footprint of the marine resource sector, increases competitiveness of Maine businesses, and maximizes resiliency and diversification.
Steering Committee Tasks and Action Items:
The Steering Committee:
- oversees the roadmap initiative, providing oversight for the development of a strategic, action-oriented plan for the MLR economy
- coordinates and monitors the progress of subcommittee efforts
- leverages connections to support information gathering, and collectively analyze data and integrate subcommittee reports to make recommendations for implementation.
The Steering Committee is responsible for holding the big picture and driving goals while completing a comprehensive roadmap and implementation action plan for the Marine Living Resource economy.
SEAMaine’s reports, results, and network will be much longer lasting than the duration of the initial 3-year EDA grant. From the final roadmap will be implementable plans to a more resilient seafood economy bolstering the resiliency of Maine’s coast and beyond. The industry network and ties will facilitate shared solutions and information and partnerships.
Steering Committee Members
Curt Brown – Co-Chair
Dana O’Brien – Co-applicant
Brian Whitney – Co-applicant
Maine Technology Institute
Atlantic Sea Farms
Kennebec River Biosciences
Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
Maine Aquaculture Association
Maine Coast Fishermen’s Association
Maine Lobstermen’s Association
Maine Lobster Dealer’s Association
Maine & Co.
Gulf of Maine Research Institute
Maine Dept. of Marine Resources
Maine Dept. Economic & Community Development
Maine Aquaculture Innovation Center
University of Maine
Maine Sea Grant
Maine State Delegation:
Adam Lachman – Senator King
Chris Rector – Senator King
Scott Wilkinson – Senator King
Mark Winter – Senator Collins
Carol Woodcock – Senator Collins
Rhiannon Hampson – Rep. Pingree
Morgan Urquhart – Rep. Golden
Jonathan Poole – Maine Dept. of Economic & Community Development